Importing and exporting are key components for many lucrative businesses. International shipping could present great business opportunities for you, but may also seem very difficult.
Freight forwarding is one of the most widely used methods of international transport for both business and personal use. Freight forwarding companies, like Bells Logistics, coordinate the shipment of goods from one destination to another using a range of carriers, including air freight, ocean freight, road freight and, in some cases, railway freight.
The process of freight forwarding might seem daunting, especially if you’re not familiar with the process of freight shipping, but the following points you need to know about freight forwarding will help you through the process.
What is a freight forwarder?
A freight forwarder is responsible for the transportation of goods between one destination and another. Freight forwarding companies specialize in arranging the whole process for their shippers, from the storage to the shipping of their merchandise. They act as an intermediary between the shipper and transportation services, liaising with various carriers to negotiate on price and decide on the most economical, reliable and fastest route.
Freight forwarders provide a range of services.
Freight forwarders can assist with the supply chain process on multiple levels including:
- Customs Clearance
- Inland Transportation
- Networking Direct Trade Input (DTI) with Customs.
- On-port insurance survey
- Customs clearance formalities
- Port handling clearance services
- Inland Insurance facilities
- Booking and canvassing
- Consultancy services on shipping and freight forwarding
- Commission agent
Advantageous to your business.
Using a freight forwarding company for the transportation of goods to your consumer can be advantageous to your business in many ways. Using their knowledge and expertise, freight forwarders will ensure that your goods will arrive at the correct destination on time and save you money in the process, compared to doing it alone.
There are six key stages of freight forwarding.
The freight forwarding process can be broken up into six key stages, including:
- Export haulage – the transfer of goods from its original source to the freight forwarder’s warehouse.
- Export customs clearance – the goods receive clearance to leave its country of origin.
- Origin handling – the unloading, inspection and validation of the cargo against its booking documents.
- Import customs clearance – the customs paperwork for your cargo will be checked by the authorities.
- Destination handling – the handling of cargo once it reaches the destination office, including transfer to the import warehouse.
- Import haulage – the transfer of cargo from the import warehouse to its final destination.
Looking for a freight forwarder for your business? Come to Bells, the most reliable freight forwarder in Ethiopia.
Contact us on +25111- 5526235